On the Road again

So, if you read my last post, you’d know the term “no news is good news”…

..Well this wasn’t the case. The bad news came in, the morning of the day I was supposed to have Chemo.

I was called early Wednesday morning by one of the Oncology ward staff, apparently there was something not quite right with my blood work, so they wanted to run tests again. More blood work. Anyway, I was eager to get this Chemo party happening. So at the hospital, the sweet nurse took another sample of the red stuff. It wasn’t long, the nurses came back to me and said, we can’t do the Chemotherapy today.

I was gutted. I felt like I just lost an important game of sport. Health-wise I felt relatively great, but the blood work said otherwise. To say I was disappointed, would be an understatement. I held it together at the hospital, but I was pretty shattered. I thought I was doing so well, and everything was on track. But no. What they’re measuring in the blood work, I’m not entirely sure.. But the broken down version (so Dave can understand) was, basically my body hasn't recouped from Chemo Round four. In order for Chemo to go ahead, I have to be 100% ready. Despite everyone (who is knowledgeable in this treatment) telling me this is perfectly normal, I took it personally. I was disappointed in myself, and I wanted to crawl under a rock. My man cave (garage) was the closest thing I could find, and there I stayed, not really in the mood to talk to anyone. But then I realized…


Look at the POSITIVE… I’ve got an extra week of feeling somewhat normal, my next Chemo has been rescheduled to Tuesday March 12. Why not enjoy that time. So that's exactly what I am doing. Last night my lovely wife booked flights for me to go see my brother & sister in-law in Ottawa.

So I’ve just arrived in Ottawa, I’m going to relax, have fun and realize this is a marathon, not a sprint. I’m going to enjoy the time with my family and come Tuesday, I’ll be ready for round five!

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.52.05 PM.png
Dave Gillham3 Comments